Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

so many thoughts, so little time

Hmmmm, I'm not sure where to start, and I have a feeling that if I give each topic that is currently whirring around in my brain it's own space, I will never finish. So, I think it's going to be a little stream of consciousness or at the very least an eclectic collection of thoughts.

vacation stuff
If I were ever to write a parent's guide to road trips in western Canada, I would definitely include the washroom in the Shell station in Indian Head (east of Regina). There is a REAL changing table (not one of those plastic pull-down ones). The garbage can is close enough to throw out the diaper without leaving the baby unattended. There is also a full-length mirror to entertain any older kids you have to take with you! I wouldn't recommend it as a nursing stop, although the Craft and Tea Elevator next door is pleasant enough for that.

at the lake
I think my favourite memory of this summer will be swimming out to the diving board platform at Sturgeon Lake with Noah. Things have been so difficult with him this year (and our vacation was not free of that sort of thing), but swimming with him was pure joy for both of us. We would swim out the platform and climb up the ladder, shimmy along the diving board trying to avoid gull poop (pretty much impossible - thank goodness for water shoes!). Then we would count to 3 and I would give him a little push. As soon as he bobbed up in the water (he was in a life-jacket) I would jump in too. We did this over and over until Noah was shivering really hard. Poor guy! He loves to swim, but doesn't have the bodyfat to keep him warm for very long. We did this 2 days in a row. On the second day, I wrapped Noah in both our towels and he just rested on my lap and almost fell asleep on the beach. sweet. Wish I had a picture.

No comments: