Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

baby steps

I am starting a new job tomorrow. It is neither closer to my house, nor is it fewer hours than before. (things I have been looking for in a new job).

I am still on campus, and I still work full time.

The positive things about the new job are that I will be doing editorial work, which I enjoy, and I will not have the vacation restrictions I had before (July, August, September, December, January).

I also am getting a small raise.

So, while in some ways it feels like I have not followed my heart in this matter (I really would rather not work outside the home at all), I think this new position will be easier to combine with family life, and will ease our finances as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, how's the job going??

Lee-Ann said...

The job is going well. I think it's a good fit for me in terms of the actual work. I'm editing articles for math journals. I don't understand what they are writing about quite yet, but I do know when a sentence needs a verb! I am also learning to use the typesetting program they use, and that's really fascinating. It's like a secret code for me to unravel.

As long as I work 35 hours/week, I can set my own hours pretty much. I am trying to work an 8-4 so that I can be home in good time to make a good meal that we can sit down and eat together (when it's not soccer night).

It would be a better fit if it was only 3 days a week though. . .