Pages

Friday, April 02, 2010

my daycare

I told an acquaintance at work that my daycare was closed over spring break. She was horrified. I wonder what she would have said had I told her about the whole month of August!

Now sure, my reaction was similar when I learned (before signing the kids up, obviously) of these various closures. It can be a problem to come up with that kind of time off. But now, I understand the wisdom of it. It gives the year some structure. It gives us the opportunity to create some family traditions. This year, Marc and I split Spring Break. We each took 2 days off. I took the kids to the park and the Manitoba Museum; Marc took them swimming and to the Children's Museum. It was a great week (even with Hanaa in a no-stroller phase). I think they will look forward to it next year as well. It was also a fairly inexpensive week as we have memberships at the Y and the Museum.

The kids look forward to the month of August as well. Marc and I take vacation time - together if we can manage it. My Mom comes out for a week to take care of the kids. We call it her Nanny-Nana gig. The kids love having her here, and I really enjoy the visit as well as having another adult in the house who can come up with supper ideas (and who makes a killer Greek salad).

So, Shar, if you're reading this (and even if you're not), thank you.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Thank you for writing this. As a dayhome provider, it kills me that when there is no school, I don't get time alone with my kids and hubby. I get a house full of kids that aren't mine which ends up being too many to fit in my van and it means that we need to stay stuck in the house the whole time, or are limited to places we can walk to. It's a big issue for me, but I have tremendous guilt at not "being there" for my dayhome parents in their time of need - when there is no school.

I have decided to take off the month of July at the urging of many friends and family members and I am feeling terrible about it. But to see how you made it work for you guys and how you are enjoying it, well, that makes me feel a lot better about it. :)

Thanks, Lee-Ann. :)

Lee-Ann said...

You're welcome! The bottom line is that you really don't want someone who is burnt out looking after your kids!

And, as good childcare spaces are hard to find, people will put up with a lot for a place where their child is well cared for. ("Put up with a lot" sounds really negative - I don't mean it that way!)