Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

the family bed revisited

So, we're the kind of family that allows the kids to sleep in our bed if they ask or wander in in the middle of the night. The kids each has a bed that they go to sleep in, but more and more lately it seems that they find their way in to our room in the middle of the night. Sometimes this is lovely. Sometimes, I sleep better with both my little chicks in the nest (so to speak). We still have wall to wall futons in our room, so there is plenty of room, unless . . . the kids decide that they both need to sleep close to me and will complain and cry even if I move away while they are sleeping. They are little heat-seeking missiles at 3am. Crazy. They will stop at nothing to be the one beside Mommy. The complaint a couple of nights ago was that Molly farted in Noah's face as she was crawling over him to get to me. Seriously.

Now, Marc has been working on our bedroom - new floors and paint - for the last month now. We have this lovely new room, and we're thinking about buying a real bed. The futons are getting old and hard and lumpy, and we're not spring chickens anymore. I'm just hoping it all works out for little visitors in the night. More to the point, I want to be the one sleeping in the new bed with my husband, not moving to one of the kids' rooms because the bed is full.

Then, of course, we add the new baby to the mix. Crazy times. Oh well, at least I won't have to get up for work for a year.

No comments: