Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

learning

One of biggest mysteries about kids is why, when they are really really really looking forward to something, they behave in such a way as to make you wish you had never mentioned said event (or planned it!). Birthday parties are the worst. Noah was pretty crazy on Saturday, and was not going to be distracted with any of his usual pursuits. He was only happy when he was talking about or doing something related to the party. So, I think I am learning that surprises are more fun for adults than they are for kids.

Here is an example. If Marc were to send me flowers, out of the blue for no reason, I would be delighted, definitely more delighted than if I had to tell him which florist to call and what flowers I would like and when. Reasonable, right?

When I bring home something for Noah as a surprise, he always asks, "why did you get me this? I wish it was a _____". OK, well he doesn't always say that, and with a little prompting, he does eventually say thank you. He likes to know what's going on, and he likes to be in charge. Also reasonable. He's 6, he's not in charge of too much!

So, after putting up with some bad behaviour and a number of time outs, the solution became clear. I got Noah involved in the party preparations. We had a great time making the Death Star game board. We printed a picture of the Death Star we found online, then Noah cut it out and glued it to a piece of black poster board. Then he and I put star stickers all around it. I had planned to print out little x-wing fighters as game pieces, but Noah volunteered to draw them all. It kept him busy for a good half hour. He drew them in different colours. When he was tired of x-wings, he started drawing Naboo star fighters and pod racers. (At the party, he was so proud to pass them out to all his friends.) We found a great website with coloured masks we could print, so we did a bunch of those for decorations. Noah cut them all out, and taped them to the wall. He was so cheerful and pleasant. Lesson learned.

No comments: