Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

meant to be

I often hear people say something was meant to be, and I must admit that I am a bit of a skeptic. I think things happen, and people make the best of them, and sometimes their lives change in miraculous ways because of this, but "meant to be" - come on.

This baby is making me change my mind, just a little.

I will admit that this baby was not planned in the same way the other two were. We talked about a third. Neither of us had any strong objections, but the decision was not made consciously. This baby just sort of happened. (ooh, did I ever hate those words when we were trying and trying to conceive our first!)

At first, the timing did not seem ideal. I found out within a week of starting a new job. (on the flip side, Marc had found out he had just landed a new job with a raise, so that was good!) Between nasty boughts of nausea, I dreaded telling my new boss.

While I was dreading telling him, I realized that the timing was actually pretty good in all other aspects of my life. Noah was in school full time, Molly was potty trained and showing that she had enough spunk to survive being a middle child. And, let's face, I was not getting any younger.

I managed to get my lovely midwife back. We are planning a home birth.

So, back to the work situation. I finally told my boss (after my 20 week ultrasound). He was not thrilled. He decided to ask the woman I had replaced to come out of retirement for a year. I felt guilty about that. It turns out that she is really bored and looking for something to do. She is returning to work 4 days a week, and another woman who went on mat-leave 5 years ago is looking for more work, so she is going to pick up the extra day. AND, it looks like when I go back to work, I can go back at 80% (4 days/week).

So, I don't know. All of this may seem a little ordinary and pedestrian, but it's got me feeling like this baby is charmed or something. You know?

Edited to add: There is a deeply superstitious part of me that thinks that all this serendipity is setting me up for a big fall . . . hope not.

Edited to add also: I sure hope I used the word serendipity correctly . . .

No comments: